BOE MINUTES PAGE
BOE AGENDA PAGE
SEATED L to R: Tom Ferraro-Vice President, Colin Monahan-Business Administrator, Michele Ruocco-President,
Patricia Capitelli -Superintendent, Raymond Reddin-Board Attorney,
STANDING L to R: Marcello Guarneri, Sanders Reynoso, Jennifer DeCeglie, Roe Carr, Keith Schaffer, Gary Bierach, Ken Kerwin (Not Pictured)
The Totowa Board of Education and its' staff is dedicated
to providing a comprehensive education, relative to the New Jersey Core Curriculum
Content Standards, in the areas of academics, the visual and performing arts,
athletics, social/emotional growth, and workplace readiness for success in life.
DISTRICT GOALS FOR 2016-2017
The Superintendent and Administrative Team recommend the board adopt the following goals and objectives for the 2016-2017 school year.
1. To continue to improve student achievement results in the areas of Language Arts, Mathematics and Science on state assessments, district-wide benchmarks, unit assessments, and formative assessments.
- To ensure classroom instruction is aligned to Student Growth Objectives as well as Student Performance Objectives, and is Common Core and Next Gen standards aligned.
- To increase the use of evidenced based open-ended response during classroom instruction.
- To increase the relevance/rigor of teacher SGOs
- To continue to assist teachers in the development of test models that reflect the types and character of questions prevalent on PARCC.
- In the area of Language Arts, to continue to provide assignments, and writing tasks that are rigorous and align with the PARCC and to create assignments that address areas of student weaknesses.
- In the area of Mathematics, to continue to provide assignments, and problem solving examples that exhibit the same rigor as PARCC questions and to create assignments that address areas of student weaknesses.
2. To create a district unified approach for language arts and mathematics instruction in preschool through grade eight.
- To continue to conduct an assessment of the Common Core State Standards and update Curriculum Maps to reflect current standards.
- To continue to monitor curriculum maps and lesson plans to ensure that the proper instruction is being disseminated to students aligned with the PARCC format and the types of questioning examples being implemented.
- To enhance vertical and horizontal alignment creating a well organized approach designed to facilitate learning.
- To develop a comprehensive implementation plan that takes into consideration the professional development needs of students and teachers.
3. Increase the relevance of technology infusion in classroom instruction.
- To increase the use of technology during classroom assessment to greater familiarize students with PARCC testing modalities.
- To integrate digital literacy into everyday classroom instruction and ensure all students are provided the highest quality of education and 21st century learning environments.
- To provide robust professional development opportunities for all faculty in the effective use of instructional technology.
- To increase the relevance and frequency of technology infused instruction in an effort to create a future ready school.
- To coordinate and maximize the use of resources and training.
4. To increase the capacity of the district to communicate with parents/guardians.
- To provide parent training on Realtime Parent Portal.
- To enhance the digital dissemination of information via Realtime Parent Portal and the district website.
- To provide accurate information and relevant forms for parents utilizing the district website.
5. To improve the quality of instruction by ensuring accountability for classroom performance and teacher effectiveness.
To continue to provide assistance to teachers whose students have not met the NJ Professional Standards for Teachers and School Leaders.
- To continue to implement the McREL evaluation system which promotes collaboration between the teacher and evaluator and self-growth, instructional effectiveness, and improvement of overall job performance.
- To provide a basis for instructional improvement through Professional Learning Communities.
- To continue to share successful teaching strategies with the professional staff relative to the McREL evaluation system.
- To provide new teachers with a comprehensive orientation and training program.