BOE MINUTES PAGE
The Totowa Board of Education and its' staff is dedicated
to providing a comprehensive education, relative to the New Jersey Core Curriculum
Content Standards, in the areas of academics, the visual and performing arts,
athletics, social/emotional growth, and workplace readiness for success in life.
TOTOWA SCHOOL DISTRICT’S GOALS 2018 – 2019 SCHOOL YEAR
1. To continue to improve all students’ academic achievement results in the areas of Language Arts, Mathematics and Science on state assessments, district-wide benchmarks, unit assessments, and formative assessments.
- To provide the administrative team and teachers with disaggregated testing data, school performance reports and other key data reports to ensure instruction meets the needs of the students.
- To offer a summer institute and one-to-one mentoring throughout the year for the purpose of ensuring instruction is differentiated and technology infused.
- To ensure classroom instruction is aligned to Student Growth Objectives as well as Student Performance Objectives, and is New Jersey Student Learning and Next Gen standards aligned.
- To implement an elementary literacy program and to provide professional development to teachers for an elementary literacy program.
- To increase the use of evidenced based open-ended response during classroom instruction.
- To increase the relevance and rigor of teacher SGOs.
- To continue to assist teachers in creating a learning environment that is student-centered and problem-based and where students are active participants in the learning process.
2. To create a district unified approach for language arts and mathematics instruction in preschool through grade eight.
- To continue to assess the New Jersey Student Learning and Next-Gen Standards and update Curriculum Maps to reflect current standards.
- To continue to monitor curriculum maps and lesson plans to ensure that the proper instruction is being disseminated to students aligned with the PARCC format and the types of questioning examples being implemented.
- To enhance vertical and horizontal alignment creating a well-organized approach designed to facilitate learning.
- To develop a comprehensive implementation plan that takes into consideration the professional development needs of students and teachers.
3. Increase the relevance of technology infusion in classroom instruction.
- To increase the use of technology during classroom assessment to greater familiarize students with PARCC testing modalities.
- To integrate digital literacy into everyday classroom instruction and ensure all students are provided the highest quality of education and 21st century learning environments.
- To provide robust professional development opportunities for all faculty in the effective use of instructional technology.
- To increase the relevance and frequency of technology infused instruction to promote more active student engagement.
- To coordinate and maximize the use of resources and training.
4. To foster good communication and positive relationships with students, parents, staff, and the community.
- To enhance the digital dissemination of information via Realtime Parent Portal and the district website.
- To maintain strong internal communications.
- To increase public relations for the District.
- To provide accurate information and relevant forms for parents utilizing the district website.
5. To promote an organizational culture which supports staff growth, staff involvement, and maximum staff performance.
- To develop high-functioning professional staff emphasizing professional learning communities and school-based professional development.
- To support the DEAC and each SciP in order to improve and enhance teaching practices.
- To continue to implement the McREL evaluation system which promotes collaboration between the teacher and evaluator and self-growth, instructional effectiveness, and improvement of overall job performance.
- To provide technology training for staff in order to enhance 21st engagement strategies.
- To provide a comprehensive mentoring program for non-tenured staff.